Some star couples have such amazing chemistry that it seems they were destined to share the silver screen, and in some cases, real-life romance. Here are my top ten on screen couples.
10) William Holden and Audrey Hepburn: only two movies together but they sizzled in Sabrina and Paris When it Sizzles.
9) James Stewart and Jean Arthur: two films together but they sizzled in both, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and You Can't Take it With You.
8) Olivia de Havilland and Errol Flynn: nine films together: The Adventures of Robin Hood, They Died With Their Boots On, The Private Lives of Elizabeth Essex, The Charge of the Light Brigade, Santa Fe Trail, Dodge City, Four's a Crowd, Thank Your Lucky Stars, and Captain Blood. My favorite being The Adventures of Robin Hood.
7) Clark Gable and Jean Harlow: six films together: Red Dust, Wife vs. Secretary, The Secret Six, Saratoga, China Seas, and Hold Your Man. My favorite being Red Dust
6) Greta Garbo and John Gilbert: five films together: The Flesh and the Devil, A Man's Man, A Woman of Affairs, Love, and Queen Christina. My favorite being Flesh and the Devil.
5) Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford: five films together: Gilda, The Money Trap, The Loves of Carmen, The Lady in Question, and Affair in Trinidad. My favorite being Gilda.
4) Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy: nine films together: Woman of the Year, Adam's Rib, The Sea of Grass, Without Love, State of the Union, Pat and Mike, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Desk Set and Keeper of the Flame. My favorite being Adam's Rib.
3) Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers: the most famous dancing duo ever paired, appearing in 10 movies together: Top Hat, The Story or Irene and Vernon Castle, The Gay Divorcee, Swing Time, The Barclays of Broadway, Shall we Dance, Roberta, Follow the Fleet, Flying Down to Rio, and Carefree. My favorite being Swing Time.
2) Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall: five films together: To Have and Have Not, Dark Passage, Key Largo, Two Guys from Milwaukee and The Big Sleep. My favorite being Dark Passage.
1) Myrna Loy and William Powell: the king and queen of on screen couples, noone before or after have had the amazing chemistry that William Powell and Myrna Loy had together on the silver screen and appeared in 14 films together: The Seven Thin Man films, Libeled Lady, Double Wedding, Evelyn Prentice, Love Crazy, Manhatten Melodrama, The Great Ziegfeld, and The Senator was Indiscreet. My favorite would be The Thin Man and Libeled Lady.
7 years ago